Brick + Beam Detroit

As a senior citizen, is there any way that I can get rehab assistance for my home which will be 100 years old in 2018.

Asked by Sherry Murphy at 3:50pm on Mar 13 2017

Types of rehab I'm seeking: roofing, floors, painting & windows.


at 8:09am on Mar 31 2017

Michigan State Housing Development Authority has several programs to assist homeowners:

Help for Homeowners
Forgivable loans for distressed homeowners.,4641,7-141--370865--,00.html

Property Improvement Program (PIP)
Home improvement loans for income qualified homeowners,4641,7-141-45866_47906_49317_50737---,00.html

at 9:58am on Mar 31 2017

If you live in metro Detroit, there is also the AMP-Accessibility & Modification grant program currently being administered by Metro In Home Solutions, a division of Southwest Housing Solutions:

The AMP provided grants up to $15,000 to eligible low-income seniors and persons with disabilities for home modifications. You can reach out to Gary Gray (313-297-1342) for further information.

at 5:07pm on Apr 12 2017

I just called the Detroit Area Agency on Aging (contact info below). They told me:

The Department of Human Services sometimes has State of Emergency Relief grants (SER grants). She also said that USnapBac sometimes has funding for senior home repair, and there is the 0% interest Detroit home loan (a loan and not a grant). The woman I spoke with also said that if the senior homeowner calls the Detroit Area Agency directly and tells the representative about the kind of home repair and assistance they need, the Agency can sometimes get help for them at discounted rates.

Detroit Area Agency on Aging (Region 1A)
1333 Brewery Park Blvd.
Suite 200
Detroit, MI 48207
Service Area: Cities – Detroit, Hamtramck, Highland Park, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Park, Grosse, Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Farms, Harper Woods

Area Agency on Aging 1B
29100 Northwestern Hwy., Suite 400
Southfield, MI 48034
Service Area: Counties – Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, St. Clair, Washtenaw

Also, there were two City programs that were active but are inactive currently--maybe keep an eye out in the future?:

1. (From ( The CARE Program--The City's Department of Administrative Hearing’s CARE Program was a partnership with the Mayor’s Office of Community Affairs, the Detroit Area Agency on Aging and the Legal Aid and Defender Office under which assistance is provided to elderly and indigent homeowners who are unable to remove blighted conditions from their homes.

2. Community Development Block Grant-- . These grants were obtained through the City's Planning and Development department, but the wait list is currently closed.

at 1:29am on May 13 2017

Wow! That's great!

at 11:25pm on Nov 7 2018

Contacted DAAA and received contractors list. List is obsolete. Reflects phone numbers no longer in service. Left message for working phone numbers, none of the contracts returned my call.

Add your answer

Have a rehab question?

Ask a question in our Q&A forum. Experts are standing by.

Ask now
Ask a question in our Q&A forum at Experts are standing by to help!